The Data Engineer is a key member in the organization who will work on a team tasked with designing, structuring, and transforming datasets as well as building data pipelines. To do this effectively, one must have strong programing skills and a passion for solving complex problems using elegant solutions. An ideal candidate will be able to visualize data structures and understand how to perform complex transformations on multiple terabytes of data in an efficient manner. Additionally, we value candidates who express a clear interest in healthcare and in healthcare data.
We work in a fast-paced and high-stakes environment where collaboration is key. We believe in constantly evolving and fine tuning our models. The Data Engineer plays a crucial role in this process, working with both data scientists and leadership to help achieve common goals. We seek team members who are willing to share their ideas within the organization, even if these ideas go against the grain. As a generally flat organization, this type of collaboration is necessary to our success and is what enables us to maintain the cutting edge.
SPECIFIC DAILY DUTIES
- Manage ETL processes, build datasets for analysis, and implement quality monitoring
- Write code, extract data, build datasets for analysis, conduct statistical analyses, create predictive models, tabulate/annotate results, summarize findings.
- Build pipelines to transfer data between teams within the organization
- Develop a well-maintained code base, leveraging object-oriented design patterns
- Assist with and contribute to documentation
- Work with SAS Engineers and Data Scientists on transforming large claims databases into inputs for bespoke predictive models
- Write shell scripts to routinize regularly performed tasks
- Write macros when needed in various software environments (i.e. SAS, Visual Basic)
Competitive base salary; bonus and equity opportunity
- 3+ years of experience using SQL and/or other relational databases
- 3+ years of professional experience programming in Python
- 3+ years of professional experience using Linux or Windows via CMD.
- Knowledge of agile frameworks and git source control.
- Strong fundamentals in object-oriented design and data structures
- Working knowledge of NoSQL databases.
- Strong understanding of algorithms and performance optimization
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with team-members with varying levels of technical ability
- Strong command of verbal and written English
- Outstanding critical thinking and attention to detail
- Time management skills to complete work within allocated time frames
- Candidates with familiarity with clinical and medical terminology
- Previous experience in healthcare
- Familiarity with administrative claims or other patient-level data
- Knowledge of administrative coding systems such as ICD or CPT
- Working knowledge of either MATLAB, C, or C++
- Some familiarity with SAS, SPSS, or Stata
- Some statistical knowledge
Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) in the field of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science.
HDAI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.