Health Data Scientist
The Health Data Scientist will bring healthcare domain knowledge as part of a team of data scientists, analysts, and engineers to design and build predictive models. These models play a crucial role in the value we deliver as a company and we are seeking individuals who are passionate about data science to help us build them. A successful data scientist will be able to take an abstract question, consider all of the data resources available at the company, and provide a reproducible solution. Typical questions to be addressed include predicting outcomes for individual subjects, analyzing an impact of an intervention, estimating risks associated with diseases, and estimating future costs associated with health care.
We work in a fast-paced and high-stakes environment where collaboration is key. We believe in constantly evolving and fine tuning our models. We seek team members who are willing to share their ideas within the organization, even if these ideas go against the grain. As a generally flat organization, this type of collaboration is necessary to our success and is what enables us to maintain the cutting edge.
- Build state of the art predictive models using medical history, EHR data, and claims data
- Work with software engineers to ensure models can be pipelined efficiently from development to deployment
- Work closely with the Principal Data Scientist and the Manager of Algorithm Development to plan model building strategy and set goals
- Dedicate a significant portion of time writing code in Python, R, and SAS IML
- Generate reports, edit working papers, and perform regular analytical tasks
- Tell stories with the data that can be used to drive new business value
- Help implement bespoke algorithms using matrix and optimization libraries
- Live with the data and know it inside and out
- Present findings to collaborators and contribute to publications
- Manage time and resources across multiple projects
- 3+ years of experience using SQL and/or other relational databases
- The applicant must demonstrate excellent programming skills (object-oriented knowledge required).
- 5+ years of experience using statistical libraries/packages in Python or R is necessary.
- Some familiarity with medical terminology and healthcare data is sought after.
- 3+ years of database use is required.
- 3+ years of experience implementing machine learning algorithms is required.
- 3+ years of experience evaluating machine learning algorithms is required.
- Strong command of calculus is absolutely necessary.
- Strong command of applied linear algebra Is absolutely necessary.
- Strong writing skills are required.
- Strong analytical skills are absolutely necessary.
- Candidates with familiarity with clinical and medical terminology
- Previous experience in healthcare
- Familiarity with administrative claims or other patient-level data
- Knowledge of administrative coding systems such as ICD or CPT
- Working knowledge of either MATLAB, C, or C++
- Some familiarity with SAS, SPSS, or Stata
- Some statistical knowledge
Competitive base salary; bonus and equity opportunity
Bachelor’s Degree (required) in the field of Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other technical field. Master’s degree (preferred) in public health or other medical-related field.
HDAI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.